The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha release and 40% alpha discount
The previous 0.6.0 release didn't go as smoothly as it should. Quite a few Windows users had problems with game starting up. Most issues were already resolved in 0.6.1 quick fix release, but the bug squashing continues in this release.
This is mostly a bug fix release and it's a little light on new features. The most notable change is that all configuration, user-created levels and logs are now stored in OS user directory. This allows the game to be installed in read-only location (e.g. system directory) and keeps the user data safe during updates.
Here's a list of changes since 0.6.1 alpha release:
- Moved all user-created levels, configuration and logs to OS specific user directory.
- Changed file handling to allow installation to read-only directory.
- Added possibility to delete user-created levels from edit menu.
- Fixed a bug in Windows DLL search path setup that caused start-up problems for some users.
- Added "--reconfigure" command line option for re-showing rendering settings dialog.
- Fixed a crash when rendering settings dialog is cancelled.
- Fixed level downloading failures when connecting to a multiplayer game on slow connection.
NOTE: Be sure to backup any levels you might have created before upgrading to this version. After the upgrade you can just copy the level files into levels -directory in user data directory (see readme.txt for details) and they will be safe in future upgrades.
I have to agree with people saying that 5.99 EUR is quite steep price for an unfinished game. That's why I decided to cut the price while the game is in alpha stage. The Platform Shooter is now available at 40% discount off the final version price! The discount applies to both product keys for direct downloads and purchases on Desura.
Posted on 2012-09-16