The Platform Shooter 0.9.0 alpha release
This release brings two notable new features: A new level block theme called "lab" and built-in level sharing functionality. There is also one new level using the new theme and some miscellaneous fixes and improvements.
Here's a full list of changes since 0.8.0 alpha release:
- Added basic online level sharing functionality (uploading, browsing, downloading).
- Added new level block theme called "lab" (standard wall and floor blocks).
- Added new lab platform entity to match the new theme.
- Added new lab table and lab container entities.
- Added one more single player level.
- Menu now highlights non-editable items with square brackets to separate them from editable items.
- Disabled collision mesh optimization to fix level collision issues.
- Tweaked player ground contact detection a bit to reduce leg twitching when stepping up.
- Enlarged the green containers so that they can be used as cover too.
- Added pop-up dialog on library loading errors in Linux.
- Added a warning in editor when saving level without title.
- Fixed displaying level titles for levels with no author name set.
- Upgraded Ogre3D and OpenAL libraries to versions 1.8.1 and 1.15.0 respectively.
- Fixed broken platform/elevator movement start sound support.
- Added controller type selection in system settings instead of enabling/disabling mouse usage.
- Added reconfigure.sh/exe shortcuts for easily reconfiguring rendering settings.
In the next release I will be focusing on improving the level editor and making it more intuitive. One of the most important changes that I have planned is some sort of level element selector "widget". Current way of blindly scrolling through over 50 different level elements is really slow and awkward. I'm also hoping to remove separate edit and insert modes, but I don't know how I'm going to do that yet.
If you have ideas on how the level editor should be improved, now is a good time to let me know.
Posted on 2012-12-25