Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.10 alpha released
A new alpha version of Hyper Ultra Astronautics is out and it's quite a big update. It was supposed to be even bigger, but I had to cut some of the planned features (like co-op high scores and score multipliers) because it was taking too long.
The reason I needed to get the update out sooner rather than later is that it fixes multiple major compatibility issues. The game completely refused to start on Linux with latest proprietary NVidia drivers. On some cases it randomly froze at exit or keyboard input was horribly laggy. All three issues should now be fixed. Let me know if you still see similar behavior.
The new features are mostly related to the survival co-op mode. There is one new boss and beginnings of a score system. You can collect items dropped by killed enemies to gain score, but there are no high-score tables yet. Main menu has been reorganized so that the co-op option is more visible. Many of the improvements affect the competitive modes too.
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.9 alpha:
- Added a new boss in survival mode.
- Made survival mode enemies drop collectible score items.
- Added projectile impact sounds on all enemy ships.
- Added missing dronefragment.png texture.
- Fixed random freezes when exiting game.
- Fixed crash in full-screen mode (X error: RRSetCrtcGamma) on Linux with recent NVidia GPU.
- Created a new mesh based teleport effect that better scales based on ship size.
- Added new less annoying drone shoot sound.
- Improved enemy spawn patterns to prevent overlap.
- Adjusted survival mode difficulty progression.
- Increased missile launch speed to make it harder to accidentally catch your own missiles.
- Made drones go look for target in the direction of hit when shot from a distance.
- Fixed mobile controller server connection issues on some PCs with multiple network interfaces.
- Updated GLFW to fix really laggy keyboard input in some cases.
- Added alternative "left handed" shoot keys to keyboard controllers.
- Added separate main menu entry for competitive and co-op matches.
- Added in-game controller layout help (under Settings -menu).
- Prevented spawning same power-up twice in a row.
- Don't spawn power-ups right in front of players to prevent accidental pickups.
- Initial player start-up positions are now arranged in a grid.
- Renamed players based on their controllers and removed player settings menu.
- Added common score counter to top right corner of arena in survival match.
- Removed last bit of randomization from background and lighting color.
- Prevented damage from "friendly fire" in survival mode.
Posted on 2017-04-27
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.9 alpha released
A new alpha version of Hyper Ultra Astronautics is out now!
The most visible change is a very small change: The background color is a lot brighter than before. This makes the game look more colorful and lively in general. Another positive side effect is that glow effects look much better against brighter background.
The survival game mode has a new enemy type:
It is now possible to control your ship using gamepad's directional/d-pad buttons too. Some people prefer this and it doubles as a backup for gamepads with bad quality analog sticks (huge deadzones, etc.). I'll probably later add built-in support for digital-only SNES style controllers.
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.8 alpha:
- Improved game logo.
- Added enemy mother ship as a new enemy in survival mode.
- Enabled biased mipmaps for font textures to allow smoother fonts.
- Increased background color brightness and limited randomization to bluish hues.
- Added long aim indicator line to disruptor for easier aiming.
- Added flash particles on beam weapon activation.
- Plasma beam and disruptor now slightly home in on nearby objects.
- Added support for control using dpad buttons on gamepads.
- Added steering acceleration to digital control from mobile application.
Weapon balancing and difficulty progression in survival mode needs adjusting. I need your feedback on this. Let me know if you think some weapon is way too powerful or weak. I'm also very interested in hearing how you feel about the difficulty of the survival co-op mode?
Posted on 2017-03-22
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.8 alpha released
After exactly one month since last release Hyper Ultra Astronautics alpha 0.0.8 is here!
The game now starts up in the menu with proper logo and intro music by DavilOne. There is a new crazy weapon called Autocannon. Menus have been rearranged a bit and QR links to mobile controller applications are provided in-game (Android only for now). Ship movement and controls have been made snappier by fixing a controller bug and slightly increasing both maximum velocity and thruster forces.
After hearing complaints that the game is too dark, I increased overall lighting intensity a bit and added monitor gamma adjustment in settings menu.
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.7 alpha:
- Fixed once active players always showing up in match results even when not playing.
- Added new weapon: Autocannon.
- Improved collision particle effects and sounds.
- Open the menu automatically when the game starts.
- Added intro music in menu.
- Made respawn timer count down instead of restarting from zero when button is released.
- Added QR code links to mobile application downloads in the settings menu.
- Fixed menu font not using proper aspect ratio.
- Increased maximum ship velocity by 20%.
- Fixed unintentional ship angular speed limitation when using directional controllers.
- Increased ship thruster forces slightly.
- Enlarged drone collision models to make them easier to hit.
- Increased the brighthess of the directional base light source slightly.
- Fixed active player controls getting stuck when menu is opened.
- Fade menu and player labels smoothly in and out.
- Added a game logo in menu.
- Added title music in menu.
- Added menu action sounds.
- Pause match with active players while menu is open.
- Added monitor gamma setting to system settings menu.
Posted on 2017-02-12
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.7 alpha released
It took longer than I planned, but the next alpha version for Hyper Ultra Astronautics is ready!
There are some important visual improvements like the large dark asteroids floating in the background and geatly improved glow effects.
The single most important addition is the new game mode called Survival co-op. It was initially intended as a single player practice mode, but it doubles as a co-op survival match for multiple players. Basically you fight against waves of drones and your mission is to survive as long as you can. Players can drop in and out anytime, but total number of lives is limited. Amount of enemy drones is scaled based on the number of active players. Currently there is only one enemy type, but more will come.
Here's what has changed since 0.0.6 alpha:
- Added large slow-moving asteroids in the background.
- Added training/survival co-op game mode.
- Require holding down shoot button to respawn to prevent accidental controller activations.
- Added auto-rotation to pause mode (press R).
- Moved screenshot saving to a separate thread (no frame drops).
- Added milliseconds to screenshot file names to prevent duplicate names.
- Weapons no longer shoot in paused mode.
- Improved quality of glow/bloom post-processing effect.
- Shortened disruption time caused by EMP blast and disruptor.
- Prevented missiles from locking on to teammates.
- Increased damage caused by plasma bursts.
- Increased disruptor recharge delay and heat production.
- Limited plasma beam usage to 20 seconds in total.
- Added a bit more particles to explosions.
- Added new better thruster sound loop for player ships.
- Added blue engine glow to player ship models.
- Preload all resources at game start to prevent stuttering during gameplay.
- Fixed broken fallback video mode selection when monitor does not support set resolution.
- Adjusted match completion labels to take less horizontal space.
All feedback is welcome!
Posted on 2017-01-12
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.6 alpha released
It is time for another update to Hyper Ultra Astronautics!
This release adds one more weapon and some music: Ambient background track by Marcelo Fernandez and a D&B loop at match completion by DavilOne. As usual, there is a long list of bug fixes and improvement too. The mobile controller application for Android has also been updated with About -dialog and much improved virtual joystick.
Here's the new weapon in action, shooting through asteroids and disabling any ships in it's path:
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.5 alpha:
- Increased EMP light flash intensity and range.
- Added shooting with gamepad right stick button too.
- Added dynamic lights to plasma burst explosions.
- Transfer heat from warhead (missiles) explosions to nearby ships.
- Ship explosion disrupts other nearby ships for a while.
- Fixed warhead explosion sound never getting played.
- Added ambient sound loop played in the background.
- Added match completion music.
- Save screenshots with ENTER key during gameplay too.
- Slow down sound effects as time slows down.
- Keep controllers enabled after match completion.
- Fixed only some parts of HUD blinking during disruption.
- A new weapon: Disruptor.
- Fixed missiles turning very slowly if target is behind them.
- Removed "slide prevention" controller option.
- Fade out thruster sounds and lights smoothly.
Posted on 2016-11-24
2016-09-28 Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.5 alpha released
2016-08-17 Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.4 alpha released
2016-07-04 Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.3 alpha released
2016-02-08 Introducing Hyper Ultra Astronautics
2016-01-26 Lockdown Protocol 1.4.2 released
2015-11-28 Beyond Lockdown Protocol
2015-09-20 Lockdown Protocol 1.4.1 released
2015-09-06 Lockdown Protocol 1.4.0 released
2015-07-27 Pay what you want for Lockdown Protocol
2015-07-08 Lockdown Protocol 1.3.0 on itch.io
2015-06-07 Lockdown Protocol 1.2.0 released
2015-05-17 Lockdown Protocol 1.1.0 released
2015-04-17 Progress report
2015-03-21 Lockdown Protocol 1.0.0 released
2015-03-01 Lockdown Protocol 0.23.0 beta released
2015-01-31 Lockdown Protocol 0.22.0 beta released
2015-01-14 Progress report
2014-12-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.21.0 beta released
2014-11-09 Lockdown Protocol 0.20.0 alpha released
2014-10-19 Feature creep cleanup
2014-08-25 Lockdown Protocol 0.19.0 alpha released
2014-08-10 Progress report
2014-06-28 Change of plan
2014-06-08 Lockdown Protocol 0.18.0 alpha released
2014-05-31 New Lockdown Protocol alpha version coming soon
2014-04-19 Progress report
2014-03-07 Lockdown Protocol 0.17.0 alpha released
2014-03-06 Multiplayer game jerkiness issue solved
2014-02-26 Progress report
2014-01-30 Progress report
2014-01-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.16.0 alpha release
2014-01-11 Next Lockdown Protocol alpha release coming soon
2013-12-29 Lockdown Protocol's Year 2013
2013-12-16 Progress report
2013-12-01 Vote Lockdown Protocol for Indie of the Year on IndieDB
2013-11-24 New Lockdown Protocol alpha video
2013-11-05 Lockdown Protocol 0.15.0 alpha release
2013-10-03 Progress report
2013-09-19 Multiplayer matchmaking fixes
2013-09-01 Lockdown Protocol 0.14.0 alpha release
2013-08-07 Progress report
2013-07-09 Lockdown Protocol 0.13.0 alpha release
2013-07-02 Next release is shaping up
2013-06-09 Progress report
2013-05-22 Changing the physics engine part 2
2013-05-13 Changing the physics engine
2013-05-06 Lockdown Protocol 0.12.0 alpha release
2013-04-28 Website update
2013-04-23 No more hiding enemies
2013-04-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.11.0 alpha release
2013-04-07 Progress report
2013-02-25 Progress report
2013-02-08 The Platform Shooter 0.10.0 alpha release
2013-01-23 Level editor rework
2012-12-31 How to improve The Platform Shooter?
2012-12-25 The Platform Shooter 0.9.0 alpha release
2012-12-04 The Platform Shooter progress report
2012-10-29 Level sharing progress report
2012-10-24 The Platform Shooter 0.8.0 alpha release
2012-09-23 New video from The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha
2012-09-16 The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha release and 40% alpha discount
2012-09-04 The Platform Shooter 0.6.1 alpha release
2012-09-03 The Platform Shooter 0.6.0 alpha release
2012-07-10 The Platform Shooter 0.5.0 alpha release
2012-06-26 Plans for the future
2012-05-18 A little progress
2012-04-08 The Platform Shooter 0.4.0 alpha release
2012-03-18 Crouching and explosion improvements
2012-02-11 The Platform Shooter 0.3.0 alpha release
2012-01-26 Progress report
2012-01-07 Sentry guns and callable elevators
2011-12-14 The Platform Shooter 0.2.1 alpha release
2011-12-09 Bug fix release coming
2011-12-01 The Platform Shooter 0.2.0 alpha release
2011-11-21 Progress report
2011-11-06 Client side prediction rework
2011-10-22 Decal improvements
2011-10-20 Bend from the knees
2011-09-20 I can hear music!
2011-08-29 One bug fixed, one more revealed
2011-08-01 About mouse aiming
2011-06-20 The platform shooter public alpha release
2011-05-25 One more single player level
2011-05-22 First release is nearing
2011-05-10 A new game play video
2011-04-30 Level editor improvements
2011-04-20 Situation report
2011-03-23 Fighting network latency
2011-03-14 Level editor improvements and a HUD
2011-02-22 Single player level scoring
2011-02-13 Progress report and in-game video footage
2011-01-26 Network code changes
2010-12-22 The Platform Shooter
2010-08-16 Final Duel 2 is now free