Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.5 alpha released
A new public alpha version is here!
I had to drop some of the stuff I initially planned for this release, but there are still plenty of changes to justify the new alpha release. The highlights of this update are team deathmatch game mode, mobile app reconnection and improved lighting (in both looks and performance).
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.4 alpha:
- Scale ship and power-up labels to same on-screen size independent of arena size.
- Fixed random freezes.
- Added team deathmatch game mode.
- Improved match completion label placement.
- Dead ships no longer collect power-ups.
- Prevented ships from collecting power-up while disrupted by EMP.
- Allow controller app reconnection without losing stats (e.g. after phone call).
- Added random asteroids to arena already when match starts.
- Reworked asteroid spawning to better maintain set asteroid density in the arena.
- Adjusted match default settings (more asteroids).
- Lighting improvements and optimizations.
- Fixed missing (or discolored) application icon.
- Show random tips at bottom of screen when a match starts.
Posted on 2016-09-28
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.4 alpha released
It's been a while since last sign of life here. Although the development has been slow, I have been working on Hyper Ultra Astronautics. This update brings a weapon that lets you teleport inside objects to blow them up, a pause mode with free camera movement and a lot of minor tweaks and fixes.
I also managed to fix a few Windows version compatibility issues and the game should now be playable using Wine. I have only tested this on Linux, but it should run on OSX too. If somebody has the time and hardware to test it, please let me know how it goes.
Here's full list of changes since 0.0.3 alpha:
- A new weapon: Telefragger.
- Added pause mode with free camera control (aka photo mode).
- Made keyboard controller steering acceleration exponential to ease accurate aiming.
- Tweaked ship steering to stop rotation a bit faster when controls are released.
- Fixed bad bullet billboard orientation in certain camera angles.
- Added a little random variation to total number of stars in the background.
- Toned down the global reverb effect on audio.
- Enabled anti-aliasing by default.
- Fixed particle distortion effects not fading out smoothly.
- Removed teleport trails and tweaked teleport in/out particle effects.
- Multithreading improvements.
- Fixed random crashes when game fails to start (exit gracefully instead).
- New EMP wave effect.
- Increased EMP range and disruption duration.
- New shoot sound for scatter gun.
- Slowed down missiles a bit.
- Fade out missile thruster sounds as they fly outside arena.
- Fixed Wine compatibility (tested on Linux, should work on OSX too).
- Fixed anti-aliasing on Windows.
- Made missiles continuously search targets if none is found at launch.
Posted on 2016-08-17
Hyper Ultra Astronautics 0.0.3 alpha released
The time has come to release the first alpha version of Hyper Ultra Astronautics into the wild. As the version number suggests, there has already been a couple of closed alpha test releases. Now the game is available for testing by anyone.
At the moment the game supports three players on keyboard, one using mouse, four using gamepads and up to 8 more players using a dedicated controller application on a mobile (Android) device. Only implemented game mode so far is deathmatch. There are currently seven different items and weapons available. A lot more will come.
Posted on 2016-07-04
Introducing Hyper Ultra Astronautics
It's about time for a progress report on my local multiplayer Asteroids -clone. Since last mention here I have settled on a name for the game. It will be called Hyper Ultra Astronautics.
Lately have been working on improving the look of the game and adding more weapons. There are currently four different weapons and a repair bot power-up. Here's a plasma beam weapon in action:
And this is what a kill be guided missile looks like:
While you can already fly around and shoot each other for fun, the match still never ends and no-one is announced as winner. The game menu is very minimal and a lot settings are hard-coded for now. I should really start to build actual game around this. Fine-tuning the core mechanics is just much more fun :)
I have thought of eventually adding score based game modes where you compete against other players or aim for high score co-operatively. This could allow a basic single player game too. However, I'm focusing on the local multiplayer gameplay first.
I'm afraid the big problem with this project is again going to be the lack of testing and feedback. Mostly because you will need friends physically present to set up a proper match. Once the game has a bit more flesh on its bones, I will start releasing a public alpha versions to gather some feedback.
Posted on 2016-02-08
Lockdown Protocol 1.4.2 released
Here's full list of changes since version 1.4.1:
- Minor changes to make the game compatible with Itch.io desktop application.
- Fixes randomly missing contact effects in physics simulation.
- Upgraded some external libraries (Ogre3D, Bullet, GLFW) to latest versions.
Posted on 2016-01-26
2015-11-28 Beyond Lockdown Protocol
2015-09-20 Lockdown Protocol 1.4.1 released
2015-09-06 Lockdown Protocol 1.4.0 released
2015-07-27 Pay what you want for Lockdown Protocol
2015-07-08 Lockdown Protocol 1.3.0 on itch.io
2015-06-07 Lockdown Protocol 1.2.0 released
2015-05-17 Lockdown Protocol 1.1.0 released
2015-04-17 Progress report
2015-03-21 Lockdown Protocol 1.0.0 released
2015-03-01 Lockdown Protocol 0.23.0 beta released
2015-01-31 Lockdown Protocol 0.22.0 beta released
2015-01-14 Progress report
2014-12-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.21.0 beta released
2014-11-09 Lockdown Protocol 0.20.0 alpha released
2014-10-19 Feature creep cleanup
2014-08-25 Lockdown Protocol 0.19.0 alpha released
2014-08-10 Progress report
2014-06-28 Change of plan
2014-06-08 Lockdown Protocol 0.18.0 alpha released
2014-05-31 New Lockdown Protocol alpha version coming soon
2014-04-19 Progress report
2014-03-07 Lockdown Protocol 0.17.0 alpha released
2014-03-06 Multiplayer game jerkiness issue solved
2014-02-26 Progress report
2014-01-30 Progress report
2014-01-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.16.0 alpha release
2014-01-11 Next Lockdown Protocol alpha release coming soon
2013-12-29 Lockdown Protocol's Year 2013
2013-12-16 Progress report
2013-12-01 Vote Lockdown Protocol for Indie of the Year on IndieDB
2013-11-24 New Lockdown Protocol alpha video
2013-11-05 Lockdown Protocol 0.15.0 alpha release
2013-10-03 Progress report
2013-09-19 Multiplayer matchmaking fixes
2013-09-01 Lockdown Protocol 0.14.0 alpha release
2013-08-07 Progress report
2013-07-09 Lockdown Protocol 0.13.0 alpha release
2013-07-02 Next release is shaping up
2013-06-09 Progress report
2013-05-22 Changing the physics engine part 2
2013-05-13 Changing the physics engine
2013-05-06 Lockdown Protocol 0.12.0 alpha release
2013-04-28 Website update
2013-04-23 No more hiding enemies
2013-04-14 Lockdown Protocol 0.11.0 alpha release
2013-04-07 Progress report
2013-02-25 Progress report
2013-02-08 The Platform Shooter 0.10.0 alpha release
2013-01-23 Level editor rework
2012-12-31 How to improve The Platform Shooter?
2012-12-25 The Platform Shooter 0.9.0 alpha release
2012-12-04 The Platform Shooter progress report
2012-10-29 Level sharing progress report
2012-10-24 The Platform Shooter 0.8.0 alpha release
2012-09-23 New video from The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha
2012-09-16 The Platform Shooter 0.7.0 alpha release and 40% alpha discount
2012-09-04 The Platform Shooter 0.6.1 alpha release
2012-09-03 The Platform Shooter 0.6.0 alpha release
2012-07-10 The Platform Shooter 0.5.0 alpha release
2012-06-26 Plans for the future
2012-05-18 A little progress
2012-04-08 The Platform Shooter 0.4.0 alpha release
2012-03-18 Crouching and explosion improvements
2012-02-11 The Platform Shooter 0.3.0 alpha release
2012-01-26 Progress report
2012-01-07 Sentry guns and callable elevators
2011-12-14 The Platform Shooter 0.2.1 alpha release
2011-12-09 Bug fix release coming
2011-12-01 The Platform Shooter 0.2.0 alpha release
2011-11-21 Progress report
2011-11-06 Client side prediction rework
2011-10-22 Decal improvements
2011-10-20 Bend from the knees
2011-09-20 I can hear music!
2011-08-29 One bug fixed, one more revealed
2011-08-01 About mouse aiming
2011-06-20 The platform shooter public alpha release
2011-05-25 One more single player level
2011-05-22 First release is nearing
2011-05-10 A new game play video
2011-04-30 Level editor improvements
2011-04-20 Situation report
2011-03-23 Fighting network latency
2011-03-14 Level editor improvements and a HUD
2011-02-22 Single player level scoring
2011-02-13 Progress report and in-game video footage
2011-01-26 Network code changes
2010-12-22 The Platform Shooter
2010-08-16 Final Duel 2 is now free