Lockdown Protocol 0.19.0 alpha released
This release focuses on improving game play and making the game generally more fun. Most of the changes are based on feedback I got for the last alpha version and suggestions from test play sessions with friends.
The biggest change is the added shield device. Gun fights in open corridors with no cover available were a big source of frustration. The shield device aims to fix that by allowing creation of temporary cover. You will need to collect power cells to use it, so it's not always available.
Enemy guards have been made easier to kill and there's a bit more of them now. This leads to game play with more action and less player deaths. At the moment the game play is slightly easier than I intended. It will get a little harder when I create one more enemy type and place them to existing levels.
There's also a new alternative multiplayer skin that can be unlocked by helping spread the word in social media. Select "Support / Share in social media" in the in-game menu to launch the browser, share a link to game page on social media services of your choice and the new skin will become available in player settings.
Here's full list of changes since 0.18.0 alpha release:
- Added a shield device for creating temporary cover.
- Added a blocked aim animation to prevent sticking weapons through doors and obstacles.
- Made player character automatically switch aim pose to allow shooting over obstacles.
- Added install.sh script that adds a launcher to applications menu in Linux.
- Added install.vbs script that adds a shortcut to start menu in Windows.
- Added an icon for the game.
- Fixed a crash when trying to load an incompatible level twice.
- Allow jumping while crouched (jumps a bit lower) for quick shooting over obstacles
- Added a short reaction time delay to human AI to delay shooting when a target is seen.
- Added short "laser sight" to all weapons.
- Key cards are now picked up automatically.
- Added floating labels to notify of picked up keycards.
- Allowed interaction and picking up items while reloading.
- Player no longer loses weapons on death in single player game.
- Auto-reload by shoot button when clip is empty (separate reload button still works as before).
- Guards no longer react to door opening sounds so you can sneak behind them.
- Made all guards easier to kill.
- Removed guard AI retreating when badly hurt.
- Replaced "power cell" items with "sample vials" of two different size.
- Replaced storage platform sounds with better ones.
- Called platforms/elevators no longer stop in every position when empty.
- Made all elevators/platforms move a little faster.
- Made muzzle flashes fade in and out smoothly.
- Fixed human shadows not getting properly hidden on death.
- Fixed reload sound timing not matching the animation.
- Improved weapon reload sounds.
- Fixed missing elevator/platform interaction sounds while they are moving.
- Enlarged elevator/platform direction indicator arrows to make them easier to see.
- Lowered spider kill score and limited their number to prevent gaining score indefinitely.
- Increased score for vials (previously power cells) to make them more important.
- Increased shotgun spread to make it less effective at long distances.
- Store screenshots in "user data directory" because game directory might not be writable.
- Allow using guard skins in multiplayer matches for customizing the player character.
- Added additional multiplayer skin as a reward for social media share.
- Fixed destroyed objects left temporarily visible in level editor preview.
- Fixed level title label not showing on clients.
- Fixed indestructible sentry guns.
- Removed force fields (replaced by the shield device).
- Made keyboard+mouse control the default.
- Fixed specular shading artifacts (white dots at model edges) when using anti-alias.
- Fixed crouching player slowly sliding down slopes.
- Decreased pulse rifle fire rate a bit to make it less effective on short distances.
- Added a couch as a new decorative object.
- Made camera shake effect sharper.
- Removed recoil from Zapper weapon.
For the next release I'm planning to work on the high score related improvements that I initially planned for this release.
Posted on 2014-08-25